Ancient, but rebuilt from the 15th-century right up to 1924, the town's cathedral follows a Latin-cross design; its nave and two side aisles are divided by thick piers with round arches. A Renaissance-style door and artworks, including the archbishop's 16th-century marble throne and ceiling paintings attributed to the 18th-century Neapolitan school, are easily viewable. Outstanding 19th- and 20th-century marquetry ornaments a magnificent choir loft, entrance panels, and
representations of the stations of the cross. Look for the unusual 10th-century marble slab used as a gravestone, with a lioness on the front and a depiction of the deceased on the back. The delightfully florid three-story campanile, topped by a clock and a belfry, has an open, arcaded base and recycled Roman columns.
Largo Arcivescovado, at Corso Italia and Via S. Maria della Pietà 44, Sorrento, 80067, Italy