Though the cathedral was established in the 1200s, the building you see was erected a century later and has since undergone radical changes—especially during the baroque period. Inside, 110 ancient columns salvaged from pagan buildings are set into the piers that support the 350-year-old wooden ceiling. Off the left aisle you step down into the 4th-century church of Santa Restituta, which was incorporated into the cathedral. Though Santa Restituta was redecorated in the late 1600s in the prevalent Baroque style, the mosaics in the Battistero (Baptistery) are claimed to be the oldest in the Western world.
On the right aisle of the cathedral, in the Cappella del Tesoro di San Gennaro, multicolor marbles and frescoes honor Saint Januarius, the miracle-working patron saint of Naples, whose altar and relics are encased in silver. Three times a year—on September 19 (his feast day); on the Saturday preceding the first Sunday in May, which commemorates the transfer of his relics to Naples; and on December 16—his dried blood, contained in two sealed vials, is believed to liquefy during rites in his honor; the rare occasions on which it does not liquefy portend ill, as in 1980, the year of the Irpinia earthquake. The most spectacular painting on display is Ribera's San Gennaro in the Furnace (1647), depicting the saint emerging unscathed from the furnace while his persecutors scatter in disarray. These days large numbers of devout Neapolitans offer up prayers in his memory. The Museo del Tesoro di San Gennaro houses a rich collection of treasures associated with the saint. Paintings by Solimena and Luca Giordano hang alongside statues, busts, candelabras, and tabernacles in gold, silver, and marble by Cosimo Fanzago and other 18th-century baroque masters.
- Address: Via Duomo 149, Spaccanapoli, Naples, 80132 | Map It
- Phone: 081/449097; 081/294980
- Cost: Cathedral €7, baptistery €1.50
- Hours: Cathedral daily 9–6; baptistery weekdays 8:30–12:30 and 3:30–6:30, holidays 8:30–1 and 3:30–6:30; Capella di San Gennaro weekdays 8:30–1 and 3:30–7:30, Sun. 8:30–1 and 4:30–6:30
- Location: Naples
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We took another Backroads cycling trip, this time spending most of the time in Northern Italy and Slovenia, but we began our journey w... Read more
We had such a good time on our trip to Northern Italy in 2012 that we decided to plan another trip to Italy with our friends for a cou... Read more