The eerie fantasy, originally known as the Village of Marvels, or the Sacred Wood, was created in 1552 by Prince Vicino Orsini, with the aid of the famous artist Pirro Ligorio. It's populated with weird and fantastic sculptures of mythical creatures intended to astonish illustrious guests. The sculptures, carved in outcroppings of mossy stone in shady groves and woodland, include giant tortoises and griffins and an ogre's head with an enormous gaping mouth. Children love
it, and there are photo ops galore. The park has a self-service café (closed in winter) and a gift shop.
1½ km (1 mi) west of Bomarzo, Bomarzo, 01020, Italy