- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Chiesa di San Lorenzo
Chiesa di San Lorenzo Review
Viterbo's Romanesque Duomo, Chiesa di San Lorenzo, was built over the ruins of the ancient Roman Temple of Hercules. During World War II the roof and the vault of the central nave were destroyed by a bomb. Subsequently, the church was rebuilt to its original medieval design. Three popes are buried here, including Pope Alexander IV (1254–61), whose body was hidden so well by the canons, out of fear that it would be desecrated, that it has never been found. The small adjoining Museo del Colle del Duomo has a collection of 18th-century reliquaries, Etruscan sarcophagi, and a crucifixion painting attributed to Michelangelo.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Sorry for the delay in getting to this portion of the trip. Read more
We recently took a Bucket List trip to Florence & rural Tuscany. Read more
I've been reading all the great advice on Tuscany and realize it is quite a large area.
We plan to spend 2 weeks in Italy in the spring of 2014. I am thinking of flying into Rome and renting a car and traveling Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across... Read more
In September, new boutique hotel 1888 landed in Sydney, with an unusual claim to fame: It's the world's... Read more
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more