Side Trips from Rome Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Ostia Antica: Perhaps even more than Pompeii, the excavated port city of ancient Rome conveys a picture of everyday life in the days of the Empire.
Tivoli's Villa d'Este: Hundreds of fountains cascading and shooting skyward (one even plays music on organ pipes) will delight you at this spectacular garden.
Castelli Romani: Be a Roman for a day and enjoy an escape to the ancient hilltop wine towns on the city's doorstep.
Get "Middle-Aged" in Viterbo: This town may be modern, but it has a Gothic papal palace, a Romanesque cathedral, and the magical medieval quarter of San Pellegrino.
Gardens bizarre and beautiful: Just a few miles from each other, the 16th-century proto-Disneyland Parco dei Mostri (Monster Park) is famed for its fantastic sculptures, while the Villa Lante remains the stateliest Renaissance garden of them all.Updated: 07-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's