Construction of this formidable Neoclassical theater, the largest in Italy, was started in 1875 by Giovanni Battista Basile and completed by his son Ernesto in 1897. A reconstruction project started in 1974 ran into gross delays, and the facility remained closed until just before its centenary in 1997. Its interior is as glorious as ever. The Godfather: Part III ended with a famous shooting scene on the theater's steps. Visits, by 25-minute guided tour only, are available in four languages, including English.