- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
The second largest of the Aeolians, Salina is also the most fertile—which accounts for its excellent Malvasia dessert wine. Salina is the archipelago's lushest and highest island, too (Mt. Fossa delle Felci rises to more than 3,000 feet), and the vineyards and fishing villages along its slopes add to its allure. Pollara, in the west of the island, has capitalized on its fame as one of the locations in the 1990s cult movie, Il Postino (The Postman), and is an ideal location for an evening passeggiata on well-maintained paths along the volcanic terrain.
Elsewhere in Sicily
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe