- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Italy 2014
Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace)
Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace) Review
This historic palace, also called Palazzo dei Normanni (Norman Palace), was the seat of Sicily's semiautonomous rulers for centuries. The building is a fascinating mesh of abutting 10th-century Norman and 17th-century Spanish structures. Because it now houses the Sicilian Parliament, parts of the palace are closed to the public from Tuesday to Thursday when the regional parliament is sitting. The Cappella Palatina (Palatine Chapel) remains open. Built by Roger II in 1132, it's a dazzling example of the harmony of artistic elements produced under the Normans. Here the skill of French and Sicilian masons was brought to bear on the decorative purity of Arab ornamentation and the splendor of 11th-century Greek Byzantine mosaics. The interior is covered with glittering mosaics and capped by a splendid 10th-century Arab honeycomb stalactite wooden ceiling. Biblical stories blend happily with scenes of Arab life—look for one showing a picnic in a harem—and Norman court pageantry.
Upstairs are the royal apartments, including the Sala di Re Ruggero (King Roger's Hall), decorated with medieval murals of hunting scenes—an earlier (1120) secular counterpoint to the religious themes seen elsewhere. French, Latin, and Arabic were spoken here, and Arab astronomers and poets exchanged ideas with Latin and Greek scholars in one of the most interesting marriages of culture in the Western world. The Sala is always included with entry to the palace or chapel.
- Address: Piazza Indipendenza, Albergheria, Palermo, 90129 | Map It
- Phone: 091/6262833
- Cost: Palazzo Reale or Cappella Palatina €7, entry to both €8.50
- Hours: Palazzo Reale: Mon.–Sat. 8:15–5:40, Sun. 8:15–1. Cappella Palatina: Fri., Sat., and Mon. 8:15–5:40, Sun. 8:15–9:45 and 11:15–1. Last entry 40 mins before closing.
- Website: www.federicosecondo.org
- Location: Palermo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help for my planned Sicily trip - sadly my Mum took sick and I've had to call the whole thing off! Read more
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
I was checking schedule and prices on the Trenitalia website for travel in August and found that all the trains but one that changes train in Bologna are sold out, for the entire month of August! Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more