The quiet seaside town of Marsala, together with the nearby island of Mozia, were once the main Carthaginian bases in Sicily: from them Carthage fought for supremacy over the island against Greece and Rome. But nowadays Marsala is more readily associated with the world-famous, richly colored fortified wine named after it. In 1773 a British merchant named John Woodhouse happened upon the town and discovered that the wine here was as good as the port the British had long imported from Portugal. Two other wine merchants, Whitaker and Ingram, rushed in, and by 1800 Marsala was exporting its wine all over the British Empire.
Marsala at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sicily
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More