- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Giara di Gesturi
On the 45-square-km (28-square-mile) basalt plateau of Giara di Gesturi roams some of the island's more exotic wildlife, including a species of wild dwarf horse. Another rare species in the Giara is the mouflon, a wild sheep distinguishable from its domesticated counterpart by its lengthy, curving horns and skittishness. Long hunted for their horns, the mouflon are now an endangered species, with only a few surviving on Sardinia and Corsica. The plateau is off S197, north of Gesturi.
Giara di Gesturi at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sardinia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's