- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
As bikes are to Beijing, so mopeds are to Rome; that means they are everywhere. Riders are required to wear helmets, and traffic police are tough in enforcing this law. Producing your country's driver's license should be enough to convince most rental firms that they're not dealing with a complete beginner; but if you're unsure of exactly how to ride a moped, think twice, as driving a scooter in Rome is not like you see it in the movies. It can be very dangerous, and Roman drivers tend to be ruthless; at least ask the assistant for a detailed demonstration. If you don't feel up to braving the Roman traffic on a moped, you can hire an electric car to scoot around the city. The MELEX is a four-seater, golf-cart-style car, with battery power lasting up to eight hours. To rent the MELEX, you need a valid driver's license. Cost: €18 per hour.
Free Rome (MELEX cars) (Via Ludovisi 60, Via Veneto, Rome, 00187. 335/8357590. email@example.com. www.freerome.it.)
Scoot-a-Long (Via Cavour 302, Colosseo, Rome, 00184. 06/6780206.)
Treno e Scooter (Piazza dei Cinquecento, in the parking lot in front of the train station, Termini, Rome, 00185. 06/48905823. www.trenoescooter.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's