- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Rome has an APT (Azienda Per Turismo) Tourist Information Office in the city center. Green APT information kiosks with multilingual personnel are near the most important sights and squares, as well as at Termini Station and Leonardo da Vinci and Ciampino Airports. They're open 9-1 and 3-7:30 and provide information about cultural events, museums, opening hours, city transportation, and so on. You can also pick up free tourist maps and brochures.
APT Tourist Information Office (Via Parigi 11, Termini, Rome, 00185. 06/51687240.)
Call Center-Comune di Roma Ufficio Turismo (06/0608. www.060608.it.)
ENIT (Via Marghera 2-6, Termini, Rome, 00185. 06/49711 or 039/039039. www.italiantourism.com.)
The APT (Rome tourist board) Web site is www.turismoroma.it and is packed with information about events and places to visit. For more information specifically on Italy, visit www.italiantourism.com, www.initaly.com, and www.wel.it. Other particularly useful sites are www.romeguide.it and www.unospitearoma.it, both of which have English versions. You may also like to consult www.italyhotel.com. Particularly provocative, fascinating, and up-to-date are the monthly Web issues of The American, a popular English magazine based in Rome; their Web site is www.theamericanmag.com. A fine Web site on all things Roman is www.romecity.it. Magnificent is the only word to describe this passionate writer's ode to the city's treasures of art and architecture, replete with hundreds of photos and little-known facts: www.romeartlover.it. An official Web site for many of Rome's most famous sights, and a place to make ticket reservations, is www.pierreci.it. One example of a top Web site devoted to one sight in Rome is www.capitolium.org. A dynamic organization offering unusual tours and news about what's happening in Rome is www.nerone.cc, and www.museionline.it has invaluable links to almost all the city's many museums and galleries together with news of the latest exhibitions, opening hours, and prices. A handy guide to the bus lines threading Rome and its surrounding areas is www.cotralspa.it. For special events in and around Rome check out www.whatsonwhen.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today