- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Public restrooms are a rare commodity in Rome. Although there are public toilets in Piazza di San Pietro, Piazza San Silvestro, Piazza di Spagna, at the Roman Forum, and in a few other strategic locations (all with a charge of EUR 0.50-EUR 0.70), the locals seem to make do primarily with well-timed pit stops and rely on the local bar. Most bars will allow you to use the restroom if you ask politely, though it's courteous to buy a little something—such as a bottle of water or espresso—in exchange for access to the facilities. Standards of cleanliness and comfort vary greatly. Restaurants, hotels, department stores like La Rinascente and Coin, and McDonald's restaurants tend to have the cleanest restrooms. Pubs and bars rank among the worst. It's a good idea to carry a packet of tissues with you as you can't rely on most places having any toilet paper at all. There are bathrooms in all airports, train stations, and in most subway stations. In major train stations you'll also find well-kept pay toilets for EUR 0.70 and in most museums. Carry a selection of coins as some turnstiles do not give change. There are also free facilities at highway rest stops and gas stations: a small tip to the cleaning person is always appreciated. There are no bathrooms in churches, post offices, and public beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today