- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
This aluminum-roof synagogue has been the city's largest Jewish temple and a Roman landmark since its 1904 construction. At the back the Jewish Museum, with its precious ritual objects and other exhibits, documents the uninterrupted presence of a Jewish community for nearly 22 centuries. Until the 13th century the Jews were esteemed citizens of Rome. Among them were the bankers and physicians to the popes, who had themselves given permission for the construction of synagogues. But later, popes of the Counter-Reformation revoked this tolerance, confining the Jews to the Ghetto and imposing a series of restrictions, some of which were enforced as late as 1870. For security reasons, guided visits are mandatory; entrance to the synagogue is through the museum located in Via Catalana (Largo 16 Ottobre 1943).
- Address: Lungotevere Cenci 15, Ghetto, Rome, 00186 | Map It
- Phone: 06/68400661
- Cost: €10
- Hours: Mid-Sept.–mid-June, Sun.–Thurs. 10–4:15, Fri. 9–1:15; mid-June–mid-Sept., Sun.–Thurs. 10–6:15, Fri. 10–3:15
- Website: www.museoebraico.roma.it
- Metro Bus 46, 64, 87; Tram 8.
- Location: Ghetto
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We drove to the Hotel Bonconte in Urbino - another hotel not easy to find. Read more
Just returned from a fabulous 2 1/2 weeks in Le Marche, ending with 4 days in Rome.
We arrived at Fiumicino at about 2pm. We didn't want to go into Rome - just rent a car and head north. The first nigh Read more
Does anyone have an insight on getting from Marco Polo airport to Venice? Read more
· News & Features
Even while reveling in holiday festivities, it's easy to be overtaken by the stress of finding perfec ... Read more
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological... Read more
Cruisers with a taste for dancing take note—you can compete aboard Holland America sailings to wi... Read more