- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The legend over the door reads Castroni Droghe Coloniali, but for years this international food emporium has been known by the single moniker Castroni. Opening its flagship shop near the Vatican in 1932, this gastronomic paradise has long been Rome's port of call for decadent delicacies from around the globe. Jonesing expatriates and study-abroad students pop in for their Fauchon products from Paris, their Twinings teas, or tins of their special smoked Spanish paprika. Travelers will want to stock up on exquisite Italian goodies like Sardinian bottarga, aromatic Alba white truffles, or their in-house roasted espresso. Just be sure to bring an extra suitcase: you will want to buy everything. Need a pick-me-up? Make a stop at the bar here, where the coffee is some of the best in Rome.
- Address: Via Cola di Rienzo 196, Vatican, Rome, 00192 | Map It
- Phone: 06/6874383
- Website: www.castroni.it
- Metro Lepanto, Ottaviano–San Pietro–Musei Vaticani.
- Location: The Vatican
- Via Frattina 79, Spagna, Rome, 00187, 06/69921903
- Via Nazionale 71, Nazionale, Rome, 00184, 06/48947474
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We drove to the Hotel Bonconte in Urbino - another hotel not easy to find. Read more
Just returned from a fabulous 2 1/2 weeks in Le Marche, ending with 4 days in Rome.
We arrived at Fiumicino at about 2pm. We didn't want to go into Rome - just rent a car and head north. The first nigh Read more
Does anyone have an insight on getting from Marco Polo airport to Venice? Read more
· News & Features
Even while reveling in holiday festivities, it's easy to be overtaken by the stress of finding perfec ... Read more
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological... Read more
Cruisers with a taste for dancing take note—you can compete aboard Holland America sailings to wi... Read more