- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Roman Forum
The Roman Forum Review
From the entrance on Via dei Fori Imperali, descend into the extraordinary archaeological complex that is the Foro Romano. Before the 1st century, when the Roman Republic gave over to hedonistic imperial Rome, this was the heart of the empire. The Forum began life as a marshy valley between the Capitoline and Palatine hills—a valley crossed by a mud track and used as a cemetery by Iron Age settlers. Over the years a market center and some huts were established here, and after the land was drained in the 6th century BC, the site eventually became a political, religious, and commercial center: the Forum.
Hundreds of years of plunder reduced the Forum to its current desolate state. But this enormous area was once Rome's pulsating heart, filled with stately and extravagant temples, palaces, and shops, and crowded with people from all corners of the empire. Adding to today's confusion is the fact that the Forum developed over many centuries; what you see today are not the ruins from just one period but from a span of almost 900 years, from about 500 BC to AD 400. Nonetheless, the enduring romance of the place, with its lonely columns and great broken fragments of sculpted marble and stone, makes for a quintessential Roman experience.
- Address: Entrance at Via dei Fori Imperiali, Roman Forum, Rome, 00186 | Map It
- Phone: 06/39967700
- Cost: €12 (combined ticket with the Colosseum and Palatine Hill, if used within 2 days); audio guide Forum €5, Forum and Palatine €7
- Hours: Jan.–Feb. 15, daily 8:30–4:30; Feb. 16–Mar. 15, daily 8:30–5; Mar. 16–last Sat. in Mar., daily 8:30–5:30; last Sun. in Mar.–Aug., daily 8:30–7:15; Sept., daily 8:30–7; Oct. 1–last Sat. in Oct., daily 8:30–6:30; last Sun. in Oct.–Dec., daily 8:30–4:30
- Website: www.pierreci.it
- Metro Colosseo.
- Location: Roman Forum
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After we left Urbino, we drove to Fabriano. Read more
We've rented out our house for another three months and have hit the road. Read more
Will the Eurail Global Pass the only pass I need to travel in Europe. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more