- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Il Pagliaccio Review
To find some of the latest spins on Roman alta cucina (haute cuisine), you might be surprised to head to a hidden back street nestled between the upscale Via Giulia and the popular piazzas of Campo de' Fiori and Navona. But that is where widely traveled chef Anthony Genovese has come to roost, after garnering his first Michelin star at luxe and lavish Palazzo Sasso hotel on the Amalfi Coast. Born in France to Calabrese parents, and having worked in such far-flung places as Japan and Thailand, it's no surprise to note Genovese's love of unusual spices, "foreign" ingredients, and Eastern preparations. These have not only gained him a loyal following but more prized Michelin stars. As a result, prices here are fairly exorbitant, but dishes like pasta bundles filled with onion, tapioca, and red currants in a saffron broth; or duck with black salsify, caramelized pear, and chocolate sauce are well worth it. Desserts are also expertly executed as well, thanks to Alsatian Marion Lichtle. For the full Genovese feast, go for one of his tasting menus.
- Address: 129 Via dei Banchi Vecchi near Piazza Navona, Rome
- Phone: 06/68809595
- Location: Navona
- Reservations essential.
- Closed Sun. and Mon. and 3 wks in Aug. No lunch Tues.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Sorry for the delay in getting to this portion of the trip. Read more
We recently took a Bucket List trip to Florence & rural Tuscany. Read more
I've been reading all the great advice on Tuscany and realize it is quite a large area.
We plan to spend 2 weeks in Italy in the spring of 2014. I am thinking of flying into Rome and renting a car and traveling Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across... Read more
In September, new boutique hotel 1888 landed in Sydney, with an unusual claim to fame: It's the world's... Read more
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more