- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Il Pagliaccio Review
To find some of the latest spins on Roman alta cucina (haute cuisine), you might be surprised to head to a hidden back street nestled between the upscale Via Giulia and the popular piazzas of Campo de' Fiori and Navona. But that is where widely traveled chef Anthony Genovese has come to roost, after garnering his first Michelin star at luxe and lavish Palazzo Sasso hotel on the Amalfi Coast. Born in France to Calabrese parents, and having worked in such far-flung places as Japan and Thailand, it's no surprise to note Genovese's love of unusual spices, "foreign" ingredients, and Eastern preparations. These have not only gained him a loyal following but more prized Michelin stars. As a result, prices here are fairly exorbitant, but dishes like pasta bundles filled with onion, tapioca, and red currants in a saffron broth; or duck with black salsify, caramelized pear, and chocolate sauce are well worth it. Desserts are also expertly executed as well, thanks to Alsatian Marion Lichtle. For the full Genovese feast, go for one of his tasting menus.
- Address: 129 Via dei Banchi Vecchi near Piazza Navona, Rome
- Phone: 06/68809595
- Location: Navona
- Reservations essential.
- Closed Sun. and Mon. and 3 wks in Aug. No lunch Tues.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
February 2014 Sicily Trip Report
We found February an excellent time to travel to Sicily. Read more
Well, here we are finally in Sorrento. Read more
My DH and I would love to do a little exploring next March or October. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more