- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- distinct character and opulence
- turndown service (with chocolates!)
- genuinely friendly and attentive staff
- the elevator is small and slow
- bathrooms are surprisingly petite
- despite soundproofing, it's still noisy
Check Rates from our Partners
From monarchs and movie moguls to some of the greatest writers of all time, this hotel has welcomed Rome's most discerning tourists since it opened in 1845. It has a marvelous residential feel and a staff that is as warm as the surroundings are velvety—first-floor salons resemble old sepia-toned photographs. The hotel's name pays tribute to the Brits who colonized the Spanish Steps district back in the Grand Tour era, and they would still recognize the entrance and the tiny, unassuming jewel of a lobby, like a sentry box against the hustle and bustle outside—it's in the heart of the shopping district, so traffic noise can intrude (the best rooms overlook a quiet, plant-covered terrace). The restaurant, Cafè Romano, in soigné 19th-century style, is a favorite, especially among Rome's ladies who lunch, and the bar is James-Bond suave.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Sorry for the delay in getting to this portion of the trip. Read more
We recently took a Bucket List trip to Florence & rural Tuscany. Read more
I've been reading all the great advice on Tuscany and realize it is quite a large area.
We plan to spend 2 weeks in Italy in the spring of 2014. I am thinking of flying into Rome and renting a car and traveling Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across... Read more
In September, new boutique hotel 1888 landed in Sydney, with an unusual claim to fame: It's the world's... Read more
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more