- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Formerly known as Rome's Modern and Contemporary Art Gallery, and before that formerly known as the Peroni beer factory, this redesigned industrial space has brought new life to the gallery and museum scene of a city formerly known for its then, not its now. The collection here covers Italian contemporary artists from the 1960s through today. Its sister museum, MACRO Testaccio (Piazza O. Giustiniani) is housed in a renovated slaughterhouse in Testaccio district, Rome's "Left Bank," and features temporary exhibits and installations by current artists. The goal of both spaces is to bring current art to the public in innovative spaces, and, not incidentally, to give support and recognition to Rome's contemporary art scene, which labors in the shadow of the city's artistic heritage. After a few days—or millennia—of dusty marble, it's a breath of fresh air.
- Address: Via Nizza 138, intersection with Via Cagliari Repubblica, Rome, 00198 | Map It
- Phone: 06/671070400
- Cost: €11 combined entrance to MACRO and MACRO Testaccio (good for 7 days)
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 11–10 (ticket office closes at 9); MACRO Testaccio Tues.–Sun. 4–10 (when there's an exhibition)
- Website: www.macro.roma.museum
- Metro Repubblica; Bus 719 or 38.
- Location: Repubblica
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just returned from a fabulous 2 1/2 weeks in Le Marche, ending with 4 days in Rome.
We arrived at Fiumicino at about 2pm. We didn't want to go into Rome - just rent a car and head north. The first nigh Read more
I just got home, last night, from seven nights in Rome and will start posting experiences and photos here. Read more
I’d posted a question earlier about which neighborhood to stay in at Naples. Read more
· News & Features
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.... Read more