Fodor's Rome 25 Best
Giardini Vaticani (Vatican Gardens)
Giardini Vaticani (Vatican Gardens) Review
Neatly trimmed lawns and flower beds extend over the hills behind St. Peter's Basilica, an area dotted with some interesting constructions and other, duller ones that serve as office buildings. The Vatican Gardens occupy almost 40 acres of land on the Vatican hill. The gardens include a formal Italian garden, a flowering French garden, a romantic English landscape, and a small forest; there's also the little-used Vatican railroad station, which now houses a museum of coins and stamps made in the Vatican, and the Torre di San Giovanni (Tower of St. John), restored by Pope John XXIII as a retreat for work, and now used as a residence for distinguished guests.
To visit the gardens, you must take a two-hour walking tour with an official Vatican guide (make sure to wear good walking shoes).
- Address: For Vatican tour, Centro Servizi, south side of Piazza San Pietro, Vatican, Rome, 00193 | Map It
- Phone: 06/69883145; /
- Cost: €32 for 2-hour tour (includes €16 entrance ticket to Vatican museums)
- Hours: Tours daily except Wed. and Sun.
- Website: mv.vatican.va
- Subway: Ottaviano-San Pietro
- Location: The Vatican
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We took another Backroads cycling trip, this time spending most of the time in Northern Italy and Slovenia, but we began our journey w... Read more
We had such a good time on our trip to Northern Italy in 2012 that we decided to plan another trip to Italy with our friends for a cou... Read more