- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Giardini Vaticani (Vatican Gardens)
Giardini Vaticani (Vatican Gardens) Review
Neatly trimmed lawns and flower beds extend over the hills behind St. Peter's Basilica, an area dotted with some interesting constructions and other, duller ones that serve as office buildings. The Vatican Gardens occupy almost 40 acres of land on the Vatican hill. The gardens include a formal Italian garden, a flowering French garden, a romantic English landscape, and a small forest; there's also the little-used Vatican railroad station, which now houses a museum of coins and stamps made in the Vatican, and the Torre di San Giovanni (Tower of St. John), restored by Pope John XXIII as a retreat for work, and now used as a residence for distinguished guests.
You have two options for visiting the Vatican Gardens. You can take a two-hour walking tour with an official Vatican guide (make sure to wear good walking shoes). Or you can take a one-hour minibus tour of the gardens, done with an audio guide; this new offering is run by the company RomaCristiana. For either tour, a reservation is necessary.
- Address: For official Vatican tour, Centro Servizi, south side of Piazza San Pietro; for RomaCristiana tour, ORP St. Peter's Office at Piazza Pio XII 9, Vatican, Rome, 00193 | Map It
- Phone: 06/69883145 Vatican tour; 06/88816186 minibus tour
- Cost: €32 for 2-hour tour with Vatican guide (includes €16 entrance ticket to Vatican museums) or €15 for 1-hour bus ride with RomaCristiana
- Hours: Tours with Vatican guide daily except Wed. and Sun.
- Website: www.mv.vatican.va
- Metro Ottaviano-San Pietro.
- Location: The Vatican
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After we left Urbino, we drove to Fabriano. Read more
We've rented out our house for another three months and have hit the road. Read more
Is it customary to leave a gratuity for the chambermaids in Europe? Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more