- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Giardini Vaticani (Vatican Gardens)
Giardini Vaticani (Vatican Gardens) Review
Neatly trimmed lawns and flower beds extend over the hills behind St. Peter's Basilica, an area dotted with some interesting constructions and other, duller ones that serve as office buildings. The Vatican Gardens occupy almost 40 acres of land on the Vatican hill. The gardens include a formal Italian garden, a flowering French garden, a romantic English landscape, and a small forest; there's also the little-used Vatican railroad station, which now houses a museum of coins and stamps made in the Vatican, and the Torre di San Giovanni (Tower of St. John), restored by Pope John XXIII as a retreat for work, and now used as a residence for distinguished guests.
You have two options for visiting the Vatican Gardens. You can take a two-hour walking tour with an official Vatican guide (make sure to wear good walking shoes). Or you can take a one-hour minibus tour of the gardens, done with an audio guide; this new offering is run by the company RomaCristiana. For either tour, a reservation is necessary.
- Address: For official Vatican tour, Centro Servizi, south side of Piazza San Pietro; for RomaCristiana tour, ORP St. Peter's Office at Piazza Pio XII 9, Vatican, Rome, 00193 | Map It
- Phone: 06/69883145 Vatican tour; 06/88816186 minibus tour
- Cost: €32 for 2-hour tour with Vatican guide (includes €16 entrance ticket to Vatican museums) or €15 for 1-hour bus ride with RomaCristiana
- Hours: Tours with Vatican guide daily except Wed. and Sun.
- Website: www.mv.vatican.va
- Metro Ottaviano-San Pietro.
- Location: The Vatican
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today
Just got back from a 12 day trip in Italy where I spent the first 4 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Ischia, and a day trip to Frascati. Read more
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We will be basing ourselves in Sorrento in July for 4 nights. Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more