- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Cimitero degli Inglesi (Non-Catholic or English Cemetery)
Cimitero degli Inglesi (Non-Catholic or English Cemetery) Review
Reminiscent of a country churchyard, this famed cemetery was intended for the interment of non-Catholics. This is where you'll find the tomb of John Keats, who tragically died in Rome after succumbing to consumption at age 25 in 1821. The stone is famously inscribed with "Here lies one whose name was writ in water" (the poet said no dates or name should appear). Nearby is the place where Shelley's heart was buried, as well the tombs of Goethe's son, Italian anarchist Antonio Gramsci, and America's famed beat poet Gregory Corso. It is about a 20-minute walk south from the Arch of Constantine along Via San Gregorio and Viale Aventino but the easiest way to get here is to catch the Metro B line from Termini, which deposits you almost directly outside the cemetery.
- Address: Via Caio Cestio 6, Testaccio, Rome, 00153 | Map It
- Phone: 06/5741900
- Cost: Suggested donation €3
- Hours: Mon.–Sat. 9–5, Sun. 9–1; if door is closed, ring bell for cemetery custodian
- Website: www.cemeteryrome.it
- Metro Piramide. Tram 3. Buses 23, 30, 60, 75, 95, 118, 715.
- Location: Testaccio
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help for my planned Sicily trip - sadly my Mum took sick and I've had to call the whole thing off! Read more
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
We are spending three days in Amsterdam, five in Rome, two in Florence and three days in Venice the first 2 weeks of May. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more