- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Villa Medici Review
Purchased by Napoléon to create an academy where artists could hone their knowledge of Italian art and so put it to the (French) national good, the villa originally belonged to Cardinal Ferdinando Medici, who also laid out the immaculate Renaissance garden to set off his sculpture collection. Garden tours in English are offered, allowing you to walk in the footsteps of Velázquez, Fragonard, and Ingres, who all worked here (at what is now officially called the French Academy in Rome). The €9 guided tour is also the only way you can see not only the gardens, but the incredibly picturesque garden facade, which is studded with Mannerist and Rococo sculpted reliefs and overlooks a loggia with a beautiful fountain devoted to Mercury.
- Address: Viale Trinità dei Monti 1, Villa Borghese, Rome, 00187 | Map It
- Phone: 06/67611
- Cost: Entrance including garden tour and exhibit, €9; garden tour when there is no exhibit, €7; exhibit only, €6
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10:45–1 and 2–7. Tours of the gardens in English at noon.
- Website: www.villamedici.it
- Metro Spagna.
- Location: Villa Borghese
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
February 2014 Sicily Trip Report
We found February an excellent time to travel to Sicily. Read more
Well, here we are finally in Sorrento. Read more
My DH and I would love to do a little exploring next March or October. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more