- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Villa Torlonia Review
Built for aristocrats-come-lately, the Torlonia family—the Italian Rockefellers of the 19th century—this villa became Mussolini's residence as prime minister under Italy's king and is now a public park. Long neglected, the park's vegetation and buildings are gradually being refurbished. Newly restored is the Casina Nobile, the main palace designed by the great architect Giuseppe Valadier. A grand, Neoclassical edifice, it comes replete with a gigantic ballroom, frescoed salons, and soaring templelike facade. While denuded of nearly all their furnishings and art treasures, some salons have important remnants of decor, including the reliefs once fashioned by the father of Italian Neoclassical sculpture, Antonio Canova. In the park, a complete contrast is offered by the Casina delle Civette (Little House of Owls), a hypercharming example of the Liberty (Art Nouveau) style of the early 1900s: the gabled, fairy-tale-like cottage-palace now displays majolica and stained-glass decorations, including windows with owl motifs, and is a stunning, overlooked find for lovers of 19th-century decorative arts. Temporary exhibits are held in the small and elegant Il Casino dei Principi (The House of Princes), designed in part by Valadier.
- Address: Villa Torlonia, Via Nomentana 70, Repubblica, Rome, 00161 | Map It
- Phone: 06/0608
- Cost: Entrance to Casina delle Civette, Casino Nobile, and Casino dei Principi with temporary exhibit, €10; only Casino Nobile and Casino dei Principi with exhibit, €8.50
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 9–7
- Website: www.museivillatorlonia.it
- Metro Repubblica, Bus 36 or 84.
- Location: Repubblica
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help for my planned Sicily trip - sadly my Mum took sick and I've had to call the whole thing off! Read more
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Hello! Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more