- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Scala Santa Review
According to tradition, the Scala Santa was the staircase from Pilate's palace in Jerusalem—and, therefore, one trodden by Christ himself. St. Helena, Emperor Constantine's mother, brought the 28 marble steps to Rome in 326. As they have for centuries, pilgrims still come to climb the steps on their knees. At the top, they can get a glimpse of the Sancta Sanctorum (Holy of Holies), the richly decorated private chapel of the popes containing an image of Christ "not made by human hands." You can sneak a peek, too, by taking one of the (non-sanctified) staircases on either side.
- Address: Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano, Monti and Esquilino, Rome, 00184 | Map It
- Phone: 06/69886433
- Hours: Oct.–Mar., weekdays and Sat. 6–noon and 3–6:15, Sun. 7–12:30 and 3–6:30. Apr.–Sept., weekdays and Sat. 6–noon and 3:30–6:45, Sun. 7–12:30 and 3:30–7
- Metro San Giovanni.
- Location: Esquilino and Celio
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
February 2014 Sicily Trip Report
We found February an excellent time to travel to Sicily. Read more
Well, here we are finally in Sorrento. Read more
My DH and I would love to do a little exploring next March or October. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more