- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Scala Santa Review
According to tradition, the Scala Santa was the staircase from Pilate's palace in Jerusalem—and, therefore, one trodden by Christ himself. St. Helena, Emperor Constantine's mother, brought the 28 marble steps to Rome in 326. As they have for centuries, pilgrims still come to climb the steps on their knees. At the top, they can get a glimpse of the Sancta Sanctorum (Holy of Holies), the richly decorated private chapel of the popes containing an image of Christ "not made by human hands." You can sneak a peek, too, by taking one of the (non-sanctified) staircases on either side.
- Address: Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano, Monti and Esquilino, Rome, 00184 | Map It
- Phone: 06/69886433
- Hours: Oct.–Mar., weekdays and Sat. 6–noon and 3–6:15, Sun. 7–12:30 and 3–6:30. Apr.–Sept., weekdays and Sat. 6–noon and 3:30–6:45, Sun. 7–12:30 and 3:30–7
- Metro San Giovanni.
- Location: Esquilino and Celio
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
After we left Urbino, we drove to Fabriano. Read more
We've rented out our house for another three months and have hit the road. Read more
Is it customary to leave a gratuity for the chambermaids in Europe? Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more