- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Scala Santa Review
According to tradition, the Scala Santa was the staircase from Pilate's palace in Jerusalem—and, therefore, one trodden by Christ himself. St. Helena, Emperor Constantine's mother, brought the 28 marble steps to Rome in 326. As they have for centuries, pilgrims still come to climb the steps on their knees. At the top, they can get a glimpse of the Sancta Sanctorum (Holy of Holies), the richly decorated private chapel of the popes containing an image of Christ "not made by human hands." You can sneak a peek, too, by taking one of the (non-sanctified) staircases on either side.
- Address: Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano, Monti and Esquilino, Rome, 00184 | Map It
- Phone: 06/69886433
- Hours: Oct.–Mar., weekdays and Sat. 6–noon and 3–6:15, Sun. 7–12:30 and 3–6:30. Apr.–Sept., weekdays and Sat. 6–noon and 3:30–6:45, Sun. 7–12:30 and 3:30–7
- Metro San Giovanni.
- Location: Esquilino and Celio
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just returned from a fabulous 2 1/2 weeks in Le Marche, ending with 4 days in Rome.
We arrived at Fiumicino at about 2pm. We didn't want to go into Rome - just rent a car and head north. The first nigh Read more
I just got home, last night, from seven nights in Rome and will start posting experiences and photos here. Read more
I’d posted a question earlier about which neighborhood to stay in at Naples. Read more
· News & Features
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.... Read more