- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Santa Maria Antiqua
Santa Maria Antiqua Review
The earliest Christian site in the Forum was originally part of an imperial temple, before it was converted into a church some time in the 5th or 6th century. Within are some exceptional but faded 7th- and 8th-century frescoes of the early church fathers, saints, and popes; the styles vary from typically classical to Oriental, reflecting the empire's expansion eastward. Largely destroyed in a 9th-century earthquake, the church was abandoned only to be rebuilt in 1617, then knocked down again in 1900 following excavation work on the Forum. Its latest incarnation is still off-limits to visitors, along with restored frescoes you can read about but still not see.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
February 2014 Sicily Trip Report
We found February an excellent time to travel to Sicily. Read more
Well, here we are finally in Sorrento. Read more
We will be picking up a rental car at the Airport in Rome, Italy, on April 19 around noon and will immediately start driving South. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more