- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Il Gelatone. Who says ice cream has to make you fat? For generous scoops of delicious gelato—many of them soy-based, sugar-free, or fruit only—head from the Forum across Via dei Fori Imperiali to Il Gelatone. Via dei Serpenti 28, Monti, Rome, 00184. 06/4820187.
Antico Caffè del Brasile. Since 1908, this caffè in the heart of Monti has been a local favorite. Even Pope John Paul II was a fan: As a student, he regularly grabbed coffee here. Come for a pick-me-up—including not only the caffé's own coffee blends, but chocolates and pastries, too. Via dei Serpenti 23, Monti, Rome, 00184. 06/4882319.
Divin Ostilia. Relax over a glass of wine at this enoteca (wine bar), just a block from the Colosseum. Sit outside or grab a table in the warm, cozy interior. Although you can find better dinner entrées elsewhere, the wine selection is excellent and the snacks (like the cheese plate or bruschetta) are good bets, too. Via Ostilia 4, Colosseo, Rome, 00184. 06/70496526. Colosseo.
Taverna dei Quaranta. Pass by the tourist traps right at the Colosseum for this authentic Roman trattoria with fair prices and good food. Via Claudia 24, Celio, Rome, 00184. 06/7000550. Colosseo.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92-$113 -- Italy: Central Rome Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Accor Hotels
- $92 & up -- Italy: Luxe Hotel Sale in Summer, 50% Off Accor Hotels
- $1799 & up -- Italy 3-City, 9-Night Trip w/Air, Car & Train Europe Express
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- $1699 & up -- London, Paris & Rome 9 Nts. w/Air & Train — $1,699 Europe Express