- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Trenitalia. Within Puglia, the Italian national railroad links Bari to Brindisi, Lecce, and Taranto, but smaller destinations can often be reached only by completing the trip by bus. 892021. www.trenitalia.com.
Ferrovie Sud-Est. The private Ferrovie Sud-Est connects Martina Franca with Bari and Taranto, and the fishing port of Gallipoli with Lecce. 080/5462111 in Bari; 0832/668111 in Lecce; 800/079090 Mon.-Sat. 7-5. www.fseonline.it.
Ferrovie Appulo-Lucane. This service links Matera to Altamura in Puglia (for connections to Bari) and to Ferrandina (for connections to Potenza). 199/811811. www.fal-srl.it.
Trenitalia trains run to Calabria, either following the Ionian Coast as far as Reggio Calabria or swerving inland to Cosenza and the Tyrrhenian Coast.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Bari: Save this May Fr $125+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Bari Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at BEST WESTERN HR Fr $104+/Nt Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Cruise Through Europe with MSC Cruises Fr $569 Expedia
- Journey to Europe on the MSC Divina (MSC Cruises)! Fr $949 — $949 Expedia