Crowning the Pancrazio hill above the old city, with views across to the Sila mountains, Castello Normanno-Svevo is largely in ruins, having suffered successive earthquakes and a lightning strike that ignited gunpowder stored within. The origins are lost to memory. It may have been built by the Byzantines or the Saracens. For a time it was the residence of the Arab Califf Saati Cayti before he was ousted by the Normans. The castle takes its name from the great Swabian emperor Frederick II (1194–1250), who added two octagonal towers. The castle is at present under restoration and not open to the public.