Puglia, Basilicata, and Calabria Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Puglia, Basilicata, and Calabria Restaurant Reviews
Southern Italian cuisine is rustic and hearty, featuring homemade pasta and cheese, fresh vegetables, seafood, and olive oil. A defining principle of Italian cooking is to take excellent ingredients and prepare them simply. That philosophy reaches its purest expression here.
The best—and cheapest—meals are often found at a rustic family-run trattoria (sometimes referred to as a casalinga), commonly located in the countryside or city outskirts. These bare-bones places often dispense with printed menus, but they manage to create flavors rivaling those of any highbrow restaurant. Assent to the waiter's suggestions with a simple va bene (that's fine) or faccia Lei (you decide) and leave yourself in the chef's hands.
More upscale establishments turn authentic local ingredients into deliciously inventive dishes. Many such restaurants are set in breathtaking locations, yet prices remain relative bargains compared to similar places farther north. Fish, unsurprisingly, is the star attraction on the coast.
Browse Puglia, Basilicata, and Calabria Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's