- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Reggio Calabria, on the tip of Italy's toe, was laid low by the same catastrophic earthquake that struck Messina in 1908. This raw city is one of Italy's busiest ports, where you can find every type of container ship and smokestack. Hydrofoils for Sicily depart from here—vehicle-carrying ferries depart from Villa San Giovanni 13 km (8 miles) north.
Reggio Calabria at a Glance
Elsewhere in Puglia, Basilicata, and Calabria
- Castel del Monte
- Ceglie Messapica
- Martina Franca
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's