- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Martina Franca is a beguiling town with a dazzling mixture of medieval and Baroque architecture in the light-color local stone. Ornate balconies hang above the twisting, narrow streets, with little alleys leading off into the hills. Martina Franca was developed as a military stronghold in the 14th century, when a surrounding wall with 24 towers was built, but now all that remains of the wall are the four gates that had once been the only entrances to the town. Each July the town holds the Valle D'Itria music festival (www.festivaldellavalleditria.it).
Martina Franca at a Glance
Elsewhere in Puglia, Basilicata, and Calabria
- Castel del Monte
- Ceglie Messapica
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's