- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
There are up to three trains every hour between Rome and Naples. Both the Alta Velocità Freccia Rossa and Italo trains (the fastest types of train service) makes the trip in a little more than an hour, with the Intercity taking two. All trains to Naples stop at the newly refurbished Stazione Centrale.
The efficient (though run-down) suburban Circumvesuviana runs from Naples's Stazione Circumvesuviana and stops at Stazione Centrale before continuing to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and Sorrento. Travel time between Naples and Sorrento on the Circumvesuviana line is about 75 minutes.
For ticketing purposes, the region is divided into travel zones depending on distance from Naples. A Fascia 2 ticket (€2.10 for 120 minutes) takes you to Herculaneum, Fascia 3 (€2.80 for 140 minutes) includes Pompeii, and Fascia 5 (€4 for 180 minutes) covers trips to Sorrento. If you're traveling from Naples to anywhere else in Campania, there's no need to buy a separate ticket for your subway, tram, or bus ride to the train station. Your train ticket covers the whole journey.
Stazione Centrale (Piazza Garibaldi, Naples, 80142. 892021. www.trenitalia.com, www.italotreno.it.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's