- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Italy 2014
Teatro San Carlo
Teatro San Carlo Review
La Scala in Milan is the famous one, but San Carlo is more beautiful, and Naples is, after all, the most operatic of cities. The Neoclassical structure, designed by Antonio Niccolini, was built in a mere nine months after an 1816 fire destroyed the original. Many operas were composed for the house, including Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor and Rossini's La Donna del Lago. In the theater, nearly 200 boxes are arranged on six levels, and the 1,115-square-meter (12,000-square-foot) stage permits productions with horses, camels, and elephants, and even has a backdrop that can lift to reveal the Palazzo Reale Gardens. Above the rich red-and-gold auditorium is a ceiling fresco by Giuseppe Cammarano representing Apollo presenting poets to Athena. Performance standards are among Europe's highest—even the great Enrico Caruso was hissed here. If you're not attending an opera, you can still see the splendid theater on a 30-minute guided tour. Perhaps your experience will mirror that of the French author Stendhal, who wrote: "The first impression one gets is of being suddenly transported to the palace of an oriental emperor. There is nothing in Europe to compare with it, or even give the faintest idea of what it is like." English-language tours, which take place daily except on holidays, can be booked in advance on the theater's website.
- Address: Via San Carlo 101–103, Toledo, Naples, 80133 | Map It
- Phone: 081/5534565 Mon.–Sat.; 081/7972468 Sun.
- Cost: Tour €6
- Hours: Tour Mar.–Dec., Mon.–Thurs. 11:30 and 3:30, Fri. and Sat. on the half hr 10:30–12:30 and 2:30–4:30, Sun. on the half hr 10:30–12:30; Jan. and Feb. mornings only
- Website: www.teatrosancarlo.it
- Metro Toledo.
- Location: Naples
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
February 2014 Sicily Trip Report
We found February an excellent time to travel to Sicily. Read more
Well, here we are finally in Sorrento. Read more
We will be driving from our hotel in Vicchio to Bologna (about 1.5hr drive) and staying in Bologna for 1 night before our flight home. It seems like there isn't muchthat would interest kids in Bologna. Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more