Naples and Campania Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Preparing to Visit Pompeii
Pompeii, impressive under any circumstances, comes alive if you do some homework before seeing it in person.
First, read up—there are piles of good books on the subject, including these engaging, jargon-free histories: Pompeii: The Day a City Died by Robert Etienne, Pompeii: Public and Private Life by Paul Zanker, and The Lost World of Pompeii by Colin Amery. For accurate historical information woven into the pages of a thriller, pick up Pompeii: A Novel by Robert Harris.
Second, be sure to visit the Museo Archeologico Nazionale (MANN) in Naples, where most of the finest art from Pompeii now resides. The museum is a remarkable treasure trove—and a rewarding place to visit even if Pompeii isn't in your plans.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe