Naples and Campania Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Amalfi's Luscious Lemons
Lemons as big as oranges (and oranges as big as grapefruits) are cultivated on the seemingly endless net-covered pergolas of the Amalfi Coast. From linguine with lemon at trattorias to lemon soufflés at fancy restaurants, the yellow citrus is everywhere, and all parts are used, as can be seen from the delicious habit of baking raisins, figs, or pieces of cheese wrapped in lemon leaves, bound up with thin red thread.
Not only are lemons a main component of meals and drinks, but they are used as a remedy for everything from flu to bunions. But the most renowned end product is that local digestif known as limoncello, which captures in a bottle the color, fragrance, and taste of those tart-sweet lemons. Drink it cold in a tiny, frosty glass or after a shot of hot espresso—a golden memory quenched with each sip.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92 & up -- Italy: Luxe Hotel Sale in Summer, 50% Off Accor Hotels
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- $438 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Royal Caribbean — $438 American Express Travel
- $549 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise, R/T Rome — $549 American Express Travel
- $499 & up -- 6-Night Mediterranean Island Cruise on Princess — $499 American Express Travel