- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Milan's majestic Central Station (Milano Centrale), 3 km (2 miles) northwest of the Duomo, is Italy's version of Grand Central Station, with frequent service within the region to Como, Bergamo, Brescia, Sirmione, Pavia, Cremona, and Mantua. Soaring domed glass ceilings and plenty of signage have significantly improved the renovated station's navigability, but its sheer size requires considerable walking and patience, so allow for some extra time here.
For general information on trains and schedules, as well as online ticket purchases, visit the website of the Italian national railway, FS (www.trenitalia.com).
Tickets bought without a reservation need to be validated by stamping them in yellow machines on the train platforms. Tickets with reservations don't require validation. When in doubt, validate: it can't hurt.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's