- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Stresa and the Isole Borromee
One of the better-known resorts on the western shore, Stresa is a tourist town that provided one of the settings for Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. It's capitalized on its central lakeside position, though the luxurious elegance that distinguished its heyday has faded; the grand hotels are still grand, but traffic now encroaches on their parks and gardens. The best way to escape to yesteryear is to head for the Isole Borromee (Borromean Islands) in Lake Maggiore.
Stresa and the Isole Borromee at a Glance
Elsewhere in Milan, Lombardy, and the Lakes
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe