- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Getting Around Milan
The city center is compact and walkable; trolleys and trams make it even more accessible, and the efficient Metropolitana (subway) and buses provide access to locations farther afield. Driving in Milan is difficult and parking miserable, so a car is a liability. In addition, drivers within the second ring of streets (the bastioni) must hold an Ecopass. (Ask your hotel about getting a pass.)
By Public Transit
A standard public transit ticket costs €1 and is valid for a 75-minute trip on a subway, bus, or tram. An all-inclusive subway, bus, and tram pass costs €3 for 24 hours or €5.50 for 48 hours. Individual tickets and passes can be purchased from news vendors and tobacconists, and at ticket counters and ticket machines at larger stops. Another option is a carnet (€9.20), good for 10 tram or subway rides. Once you have your ticket or pass, either stamp it or insert it into slots in station turnstiles or on poles inside trolleys and buses. (The electronic tickets will not function if bent or demagnetized. If you have a problem, contact a station manager, who can usually issue a new ticket.) Trains run from 6 am to 12:20 am (1:30 am on Saturday).
Radiobus. From 8 pm to 2 am, Radiobus will pick you up and drop you off anywhere in Milan for a €2 supplement to a transit pass. Advance booking is required. 02/48034803. www.atm-mi.it/en.
ATM. For more information, check the ATM website or visit information offices at the Duomo, Stazione Cadorna, Stazione Centrale, Garibaldi, and Loreto stops. www.atm-mi.it/en.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Milan From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 3 Nts in Milan this May Fr $189+/Nt Save with Expedia, $52/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Milan at Galileo Fr $210+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- 4-Star Milan Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1445 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Milan Fr $118+/Nt — $118 Save with Expedia, $27/night less