- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
The following guidelines apply in major cities; Italians tip—if they tip at all—in smaller amounts in smaller cities and towns. In restaurants in Tuscany and Umbria a service charge of 10% to 15% sometimes appears on your check. It's not necessary to tip in addition to this amount. If service is not included, leave a tip of €2 to not more than 10%. No one tips in bars in Florence.
Tip checkroom attendants 50 European cents per person and restroom attendants 50 European cents (more in expensive hotels and restaurants). Italians rarely tip taxi drivers, which is not to say that you shouldn't do it. A tip of 10%, depending on the length of the journey, is appreciated—but only if the driver is courteous and helps with your luggage. Railway and airport porters charge a fixed rate per bag. Tip an additional 5% if the porter is especially helpful. Give a barber €1-€1.50 and a hairdresser's assistant €1.50-€4 for a shampoo or cut, depending on the type of establishment.
On sightseeing tours, tip guides about €2 per person for a half-day group tour, more if they are very good. In museums and other sights where admission is free, a contribution (€1) is expected. Service-station attendants are tipped only for special services, for example, 50 European cents for checking your tires.
In hotels, give the portiere (concierge) about 10% of his bill for services, or €2.50-€5 if he has been generally helpful. For two people in a double room, leave the chambermaid about €1 per day, or about €7 a week, in a moderately priced hotel; tip a minimum of €1 for valet or room service. Double amounts in expensive hotels. In very expensive hotels, tip doormen €1 for calling a cab and €1 for carrying bags to the check-in desk, bellhops €2-€4 for carrying your bags to the room, and €2-€3 for room service.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92 & up -- Italy: Luxe Hotel Sale in Summer, 50% Off Accor Hotels
- $1799 & up -- Italy 3-City, 9-Night Trip w/Air, Car & Train Europe Express
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- $1399 & up -- Tuscany Trip: 7 Nts. at 5-Star Estate w/Air — $1,399 Sceptre Tours
- $438 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Royal Caribbean — $438 American Express Travel