- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
If you're traveling between Easter and October, it's always good to pack with layering in mind: it can be very cool in the morning, and then heat up during the course of the day. Murderously hot weather, especially in July and August, calls for breathable fabrics. If you visit in November, pack rain gear, as it seems that all the rain that didn't happen in the summer happens then. Winters in most parts of Tuscany and Umbria are not particularly cold, but there are exceptions. Pack your fleece.
You can get aspirin and the like over the counter, but it does often mean waiting in long pharmacy lines. It's best to bring aspirin and other medicine with you. It's always wise to travel with tissues, as very often public toilets are not equipped with basic necessities. If you rent a car, be particularly vigilant when making a bathroom or food break: don't leave unattended luggage in the front or back seat of the car—thieves recognize rental cars, and often target them for smash-and-grabs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring — $649 Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- Weeklong Italy & France Cruise in Summer — $649 Royal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in Summer — $599 Royal Caribbean