Boat and Ferry Travel
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Boat and Ferry Travel
Ferries (traghetti) connect the mainland with the Tuscan islands, including Elba, Capraia, Pianosa, Giglio, and Giannutri. Hydrofoil (aliscafo) service goes to many destinations; itis generally twice as fast as the ferries—and double the price. All ferry service is considerably more frequent in summer.
Passenger and car ferries serve Elba. If you're traveling in July or August, try to make reservations at least a month in advance. Two ferry lines operate along the coast of Cinque Terre: Golfo Paradiso, which operates from June to September from Genoa and Camogli to the Cinque Terre villages of Monterosso al Mare and Vernazza; and the smaller, but more frequent, Golfo dei Poeti, which stops at each village (from Portovenere to Riomaggiore, except for Corniglia) four times a day.
The easiest place to find schedules and fare information for Tuscany ferry service is on each company's Web site. If you are already in the area, local tourist information offices, tourist agencies, and the ticket offices at the port will have printed schedules. Most ferry operators accept credit cards or cash, but no traveler's checks (the Toremar and Moby Lines ferry companies definitely do not accept traveler's checks).
Golfo Paradiso (0185/772091. www.golfoparadiso.it.)
Golfo dei Poeti (0187/732987. www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it.)
Moby Lines (199/303040. www.mobylines.it.)
Toremar (199/117723. www.toremar.it.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in Summer — $649 Royal Caribbean