- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Florence's sights keep tricky hours. Some are closed on Wednesday, some on Monday, some on every other Monday. Quite a few shut their doors each day (or on most days) by 2 in the afternoon. Things get even more confusing on weekends. Make it a general rule to check the hours closely for any place you're planning to visit; if it's someplace you have your heart set on seeing, it's worthwhile to call to confirm.
Here's a selection of major sights that might not be open when you'd expect. And be aware that, as always, hours can and do change.
The Uffizi and the Accademia are both closed Monday. All but a few of the galleries at Palazzo Pitti are closed Monday as well.
The Duomo closes at 3:30 on Thursday (as opposed to 5:30 on other weekdays, 4:45 on weekends). The dome of the Duomo is closed on Sunday.
The Battistero is open from noon until 7, Monday through Saturday, and on Sunday from 8:30 to 2.
The Bargello closes at 1:50 pm, and is closed entirely on alternating Sundays and Mondays.
The Cappelle Medicee are closed on alternating Sundays and Mondays.
Museo di San Marco closes at 1:50 on weekdays but stays open until 7 on weekends—except for alternating Sundays and Mondays, when it's closed entirely.
Palazzo Medici-Riccardi is closed Wednesday.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring — $649 Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- Weeklong Italy & France Cruise in Summer — $649 Royal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in Summer — $599 Royal Caribbean