This late Baroque church (its facade was remodeled between 1736 and 1739) contains the mannerist Jacopo Pontormo's Deposition, the centerpiece of the Cappella Capponi (executed 1525–28) and a masterpiece of 16th-century Florentine art. The remote figures, which transcend the realm of Renaissance classical form, are portrayed in tangled shapes and intense pastel colors (well preserved because of the low lights in the church), in a space and depth that defy reality. Note, too, the exquisitely frescoed Annunciation, also by Pontormo, at a right angle to the Deposition. The granite column in the piazza was erected in 1381 and marks a Christian cemetery.
Piazza Santa Felicita, Via Guicciardini, Florence, Tuscany, 50122, Italy