- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
The Duomo to the Ponte VecchioView Map
The heart of Florence, stretching from the Piazza del Duomo south to the Arno, is dense with artistic treasures. The churches, medieval towers, Renaissance palaces, and world-class museums and galleries contain some of the most outstanding aesthetic achievements of Western history.
Much of the centro storico (historic center) is closed to automobile traffic, but you still must dodge mopeds, cyclists, and masses of fellow tourists as you walk the narrow streets, especially in the area bounded by the Duomo, Piazza della Signoria, Galleria degli Uffizi, and Ponte Vecchio.
The Duomo to the Ponte Vecchio at a Glance
- Battistero (Baptistery)
- Duomo (Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore)
- Galleria degli Uffizi
- Mercato Nuovo (New Market)
- Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (Cathedral Museum)
Elsewhere in Florence
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's