- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Piazza Santa Croce
Piazza Santa Croce Review
Originally outside the city's 12th-century walls, this piazza grew with the Franciscans, who used the large square for public preaching. During the Renaissance it was used for giostre (jousts), including one sponsored by Lorenzo de' Medici. "Bonfires of the vanities" occurred here, as well as soccer matches in the 16th century. Lined with many palazzi dating from the 15th century, the square remains one of Florence's loveliest piazze and is a great place to people-watch.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
After a fabulous vacation in Rome in November 2013, I was having a hard time getting the city out of my mind. Read more
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help for my planned Sicily trip - sadly my Mum took sick and I've had to call the whole thing off! Read more
Hi, I'd like to get some input on a trip I'm organizing between May and June (21 days) to cover some of France and some of north Italy.
I'm from Argentina and will be travelling with my wife and my 2 1/2 Read more
· News & Features
Florence may not be first on your list of up-and-coming cities, but the Renaissance City is constantly ... Read more
Feeling a little down on your luck?... Read more
Few countries can offer what Italy can in the way of local culinary specialties, art, and architecture,... Read more