Emilia–Romagna Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

San Domenico

San Domenico Review

The tomb of St. Dominic, who died here in 1221, is called the Arca di San Domenico, and is found in this church in the sixth chapel on the right. Many artists participated in its decoration, notably Niccolò di Bari, who was so proud of his contribution that he changed his name to Niccolò dell'Arca to recall this famous work. The young Michelangelo (1475–1564) carved the angel on the right. In the right transept of the church is a tablet marking the last resting place of hapless King Enzo, the Sardinian ruler imprisoned in the Palazzo Re Enzo. The attached museum contains religious relics.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Piazza San Domenico 13, off Via Garibaldi south of Piazza Maggiore, Bologna, 40124 | Map It
  • Phone: 051/6400411
  • Hours: Church: daily 8–12:30 and 3:30–6:30. Museum: weekdays 10–noon and 3:30–6, Sat. 9:30–noon and 3:30–5:30, Sun. 3:30–5:30
  • Website:
  • Location: Bologna
Updated: 02-20-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories