- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Emilia–Romagna
The signature food of Emilia: This region's food—prosciuttocrudo,Parmigiano-Reggiano, balsamic vinegar, and above all, pasta—makes the trip to Italy worthwhile. crudo, Parmigiano-Reggiano, balsamic vinegar, and above all, pasta—makes the trip to Italy worthwhile.
Mosaics that take your breath away: The intricate tiles in Ravenna's Mausoleo di Galla Placidia, in brilliantly well-preserved colors, depict vivid portraits and pastoral scenes.
Arguably Europe's oldest wine bar: Nicholas Copernicus tippled here while studying at Ferrara's university in the early 1500s; Osteria al Brindisi, in thecentro storico(historic center), has been pouring wine since 1435. centro storico (historic center), has been pouring wine since 1435.
The nightlife of Bologna: This red-roofed city has had a lively student culture since the university—Europe's oldest—was founded in the late 11th century.
The medieval castles of San Marino: Its three castles dramatically perch on a rock more than 3,000 feet above the flat landscape of Romagna.Updated: 07-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's