- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Modena is famous for local products: Maserati, Ferrari, and opera star Luciano Pavarotti, who was born near here and buried in his family plot in Montale Rangone in 2007. However, it's Modena's heavenly scented balsamic vinegar, aged up to 40 years, that's probably its greatest achievement. The town has become another Emilian food mecca, with terrific restaurants and salumerie (delicatessens) at every turn. Though extensive modern industrial sprawl surrounds the city, the small historic center is filled with narrow medieval streets, pleasant piazzas, and typical Emilian architecture.
Modena at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's