Emilia–Romagna Sights

San Domenico

  • Piazza San Domenico 13 Map It
  • South of Piazza Maggiore
  • Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Published 06/07/2016

Fodor's Review

The tomb of St. Dominic, who died here in 1221, is called the Arca di San Domenico, and is found in this church in the sixth chapel on the right. Many artists participated in its decoration, notably Niccolò di Bari, who was so proud of his 15th-century contribution that he changed his name to Niccolò dell'Arca to recall this famous work. The young Michelangelo (1475–1564) carved the angel on the right. In the right transept of the church is a tablet marking the last resting place of hapless King Enzo, the Sardinian ruler imprisoned in the Palazzo Re Enzo. The attached museum contains religious relics.

Sight Information


Piazza San Domenico 13, off Via Garibaldi, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, 40124, Italy

Map It



Published 06/07/2016


Book A Trip



  • CARS

Map View

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights
  • Hotels

See all sights in Emilia–Romagna