Battistero Neoniano Review
Next door to Ravenna's 18th-century cathedral, the baptistery has one of the town's most important mosaics. It dates from the beginning of the 5th century AD, with work continuing through the century. In keeping with the building's role, the great mosaic in the dome shows the baptism of Christ, and beneath are the Apostles. The lowest register of mosaics contains Christian symbols, the Throne of God, and the Cross. Note the naked figure kneeling next to Christ—he is the personification of the River Jordan.
- Address: Via Battistero, Ravenna, 48100
- Phone: 0544/541688; 800/303999
- Cost: Combination ticket €9.50 (includes all diocesan monuments)
- Hours: Nov.–Feb., daily 10–4:45; Mar. and Oct., daily 9:30–5:15; Apr.–Sept., daily 9–6:45 (last entry 15 min before closing)
- Website: www.ravennamosaici.it
- Location: Ravenna